Descriptive Reflection

 Dear Professor Brad,


I am Xing He, a first year student in SIT mechanical engineering in your critical thinking and communication module. Prior to this, I studied mechatronics engineering at Nanyang Polytechnic and graduated in 2019. When I was younger, I enjoyed playing with toys like remote controlled cars. However, being a rough and reckless child, caused me to break most of my toys within the first few days. Instead of getting new toys, my parents tried to fix my broken toys and I was fascinated by how they did it with tools that can be found in everyday homes. They showed me different components of the toy cars like the motors and wheels while explaining the functions of each part. This piqued my interest in engineering and I started exploring more forms of innovations from technology like phones and laptops to automotive vehicles like cars and motorbikes. 


Our strength grows out of our weakness - Ralph Waldo Emerson


My strengths in communication lies in my ability to express myself confidently in writing reports, forming structure with points that will paint a story that my audience can understand. In Polytechnic, when we were tasked to write reports, I was able to put my points out in a clear and concise manner while guiding my teammates to ensure the report had a good flow. With that said, there is still room for improvements in terms of my fear of speaking to a crowd. Thinking back to the time in polytechnic, I had to present to my class in front of a big crowd, the fear made me stumble over my words and derail my train of thoughts. This episode allowed me to understand what I had to improve on to become a better speaker. 


At the end of the module, I wish to be more confident in public speaking and improve on my critical thinking skills. This will allow me to express myself better and share my points with my friends and colleagues instead of my past self where I would have a great idea but am too afraid to share with anyone.


What sets me apart from others is that I am willing to put in the effort, get my hands dirty and do all the dirty work to get what I want.


Best Regards,

Xing He


Edited on 19 September

Read Hwee leen & Andy descriptive reflection

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Xing He,

    Your introduction letter is well expressed with full of details. There were no run on sentences or sentence fragments. I also get nervous when it comes to speaking or presenting in front of a large group of people and wants to improve on public speaking. You might need to make a few minor changes due to the first paragraph's use of capital letters.

    Regards,
    Hwee Leen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hwee Leen thanks for reading my blog and giving your valuable feedback

      Delete
  3. Your letter's content is brief and straightforward, making it easy to understand and enjoyable to read. I now have a better understanding of your advantages and disadvantages. I eagerly await more of your writing. I hope you enjoy your learning experience with this course!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andy thanks for taking the time to read my blog and giving me your feedback

      Delete
  4. Dear Xing He,

    Thank you for this concise , clear and well substantiated letter. I appreciate the sharing and how you have overviewed the way your parents' approach to toy repair led to you developing an interest in fixing and innovating. You've done a really good job addressing the brief across all sections and providing supporting information that allows us readers to gain a clearer understanding of who you are.

    You've also used language in an appropriate manner. There is one very minor problem with punctuation: -- ...being a rough and reckless child, caused me.... > (Is the comma needed?)

    There is also a problem with verb tense inconsistency:
    -- This will allow me to express myself better and share my points with my friends and colleagues instead of my past self where I would have a great idea but am too afraid to share with anyone.
    >
    This will allow me to express myself better and share my points with my friends and colleagues in a way unlike when I was younger and I would have a great idea but be too afraid to share with anyone.

    Thanks again for the effort. I look forward to working with you to address your goals for the module.

    Cheers,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Critical Reflection

Summary/Readers Response Draft #3